Sunday, April 1, 2012

Field Experience - 3/30/2012

Curriculum and NYS standards
Today was another class with the Pre K group. I have come to realize that the Pre K class kids are only three or four years old at the most. They are just getting a hold of the skill themes we are learning in class. So I've been wondering this whole time when these kids are going to get started on an actual lesson. But then when I started thinking about it I realize how creative these kids are on their own and with just a little spark given by a teacher. I would like to see what classes were like before our experience started. With three or more older idolized people playing and directing the kids there is sometimes no need to have an organized lesson. Just by tossing out different types of balls, hoola hoops and bean bags kids incorporate skill themes by themselves. There are also ropes and mats that work on other skill themes that don't require objects. Kids find some form of a game or activity to play with you or another group of kids. As I look around I notice that all kids are active and moving with a smile on their face. There has been a few times where I wanted to help kids by giving them a few cues but for most of them they don't stick with them for more than two or three attempts. They then revert to their old ways. I think it it is too early for a specific curriculum to be implemented for kids so young. Most of it should be by feel. I hope to see how these progress within these next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment