Saturday, February 11, 2012

Field Experience 3

Knowledge of Students
With my third trip to St. Mary's I got to see the Pre-K class for the second time. A bunch of them remembered my face but could not recall my name. This was the same way for me. I remembered only three or four kids' names and felt ashamed not knowing all their names. Even though I was still getting a hold of their names I did remember their faces and some of their abilities from the first time we met. A few of the boys I played with in the beginning of the class were shooting/throwing various balls on the small hoop and asking for me to shoot their ball on the main hoop. Many of the kids would get very close, borderline underneath the basket, and try and push the ball with all the power they could create. As they continued to shoot I would move them a foot or two back so that they could get a better angle to shoot. A few caught on and realized that it made it easier. I then made my way to two kids having a Frisbee catch with a soft, bendable, cushioned Frisbee. They were both pretty talented for Pre-K kids. They were able to throw a proper backhand toss. They stepped with the same foot, snapped the wrist, and followed through. Not until two other classmates joined did I notice a difference in skill level. The one student with the most trouble did just about everything right but the timing on the release needed work. He would hold it too long and throw it behind him instead of the intended target. Otherwise I was rather impressed by the classmates abilities that used the Frisbee. Lastly I made my way to the rope and rock climbing wall where kids are allowed to climb on their own up to a certain area as long as there are mats in place underneath. A few of the girls really enjoyed climbing the ropes and wanted to prove to me that they could do it. They were able to climb up and down with ease but when I challenged them to the rock climbing wall they were all hesitant. A few attempted it but were too timid to reach for the next rock because it was just a little bit out of their initial standing reach. With a little bit of time this could be taught and the kids could do it. It was another good trip to St. Mary's and I am looking forward to Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment